Mechanical Design Engineer
About Shea+Latone, Inc
Shea+Latone is a product design and development firm that works with some of the most prestigious designers and innovative companies in the world. Our focus has traditionally been in contract furniture, but we use that experience and expertise to broaden into other similar industries as well. Shea+Latone provides services encompassing the entire design development process, including industrial design, mechanical engineering, prototyping, testing, manufacturability analysis, and more. We offer any part of the process as needed for some clients, or fully integrate into large companies’ product development teams as partners for completing projects from proposal to production. Our goal is to always keep designs honest and uncompromising while ensuring practical manufacturability.
Located in a small town in the Upper Perkiomen Valley of southeastern Pennsylvania, S+L was built on the foundation of the area’s rich furniture design tradition that began in the 1940’s. The company was created in 1996 to serve the contract furniture industry in the surrounding Philadelphia and New York areas, and quickly grew to developing a broad ranging product portfolio with clients nationwide and abroad. Plus, in our small town the air is a little cleaner, the sun is a little brighter, and we like that!
S+L is looking for a well-rounded, industrious Mechanical Engineer with the unique skillset required to excel at a small, fast-paced product development consultancy with diverse clients and projects. Candidates for joining the S+L team will have at least three years of demonstrated experience in developing products for a variety of manufacturing methods. He or she will have strong capabilities in solving complicated engineering challenges with simple mechanical solutions, communicating clearly with fellow professionals from a broad range of disciplines, and adapting quickly to varying responsibilities common in a small firm.
- Developing refined dimensional drawings of parts and assemblies with accurate tolerances
- Part engineering for manufacturability, assembly, and end-of-use
- Brainstorming alone and alongside all levels of designers to conceptualize mechanical solutions that are meaningful, realistic, and creative
- Willingness to preserve aesthetic design intent and performance through creative engineering solutions
- Hands-on assistance with study models and prototypes in the shop
- Part design validation through theoretical mechanical analysis and prototype testing
- Creating testing plans and quality control criteria that meet regulatory and client standards
- Approving off-tool samples through providing feedback for improvements and ensuring solutions are executed prior to production
- Managing products into production by continuously interacting with clients’ vendors and production teams
- Oversight of cost targets and assistance in evaluation of quotes from vendors
- Traveling occasionally within the US and abroad to visit vendors and assist in production related issues
Qualifications and Skills
- At least three years of demonstrated experience bringing new products to market
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with geometric tolerancing
- High-level of proficiency in Solidworks creating parts, assemblies, drawings, and models for engineering analysis
- Growing knowledge of rapid prototyping processes
- Acute understanding of various materials and manufacturing processes including injection molding, die-casting, extrusions, sheet metal, surface finishing, and more
- Use of predictive modeling, simulation, and physical testing appropriately and accurately to analyze concepts
- Strong communication skills, including clearly conveying technical details to audiences from other disciplines and languages
- Ability to work alone and as part of a larger team
- Empathy and appreciation for other design and engineering disciplines
How to Apply
Send a brief introduction via email with a resume attached in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sending examples of previous projects that best show suitability for this position is also recommended.